Why A Director’s Cut
When Kathy Rain first released back in May of 2016, it was initially met with little attention. However, fans of the genre discovered that Kathy Rain had much more to offer than just a blast of nostalgia; with a compelling story, excellent voice acting, and clever puzzles, Kathy Rain eventually found its audience, achieving over 1.2 million users on Steam alone. With more story to tell, feature upgrades to make, and platforms to port to, developer Joel Staaf Hästö from Clifftop Games got to work on the Director’s Cut. His desire is that this new release will add more for supporters of the original to enjoy while introducing a new wave of gamers to the tale of Kathy Rain.
Story of Kathy Rain
Set in the 90s, Kathy Rain follows a strong-willed journalism major (Kathy) who returns to her small hometown of Conwell Springs following the death of grandfather (Joseph Rain). It isn’t long before questions surrounding her grandfather’s final days begin to arise, spurring Kathy into action as she seeks to uncover the dark secrets of the town she left behind. With limited technology, Kathy will have to use her wits along with her notepad and trusty motorcycle to get to the source of this deeply personal mystery.
With many locations to visit and people to interview, the questions quickly begin to pile on: What was it that turned the war hero Joseph Rain into a shell of a man? What secrets was he keeping from his family? What are the people of Conwell Springs hiding? Piecing together the clues will reveal a dark, sinister truth.
Kathy Rain: Director’s Cut Updates
- Extended storyline, including a fleshed out and more satisfying ending
- Multiple new areas to explore, with additional gameplay and puzzles
- 700+ new lines of dialogue voiced by the original voice actors
- Widescreen 16:9 backgrounds
- Expanded and remixed soundtrack
- Different motorcycle skins to personalize Kathy’s motorcycle
- Full controller support
- No spoilers, but… DEATH SEQUENCES!
- Twice the number of Steam achievements
- Brazilian Portuguese translation with more languages to follow
About Clifftop Games
Clifftop Games is an indie game developer based in rural Hedemora, Sweden. We’re committed to thought-provoking, intimate, story-driven experiences.